- 2 tbsp olive oil (approx.)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (divided use)
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 12 small roma tomatoes (or 8 medium), chopped + one can diced tomatoes (can use all fresh tomatoes if you have enough!)
- Pinch of red bell pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
- Pasta of your choice, 1 box
Additional sea salt, red pepper flakes, onion powder, to taste.
1. Coat a deep pan with olive oil, heat to medium then add half of the garlic, sautéing for a minute. Then add diced celery, red onion, zucchini and bell pepper, sprinkle with some salt and pepper and stir to coat.
2. Cook until vegetables are slightly soft, stirring occasionally to evenly cook, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Scoop vegetables from the pan and move to a separate bowl for later.
4. Add slightly more olive oil if it has cooked off, then add the remainder of the garlic and all the tomatoes and the seasonings to the pan.
5. Cook until the tomatoes have collapsed and released their juices, 5-7 mins on medium heat. (This is a good time to cook your pasta also)
6. Combine the tomatoes with the other cooked vegetables into the blender, make need to do in more than one ‘batch’ if your blender is small.
7. Blend the veggies until nearly smooth, or slightly chunky, depending upon your preference.
8. Return the pureed vegetables to the pan, add in the cooked chicken and the freshly grated parmesan cheese. Heat on low until everything is heated through. If the sauce is too thick, add a little tomato sauce or chicken broth to reach desired consistency.
9. Season to taste with the optional additions, then enjoy the sauce on top of your pasta, with additional parmesan cheese on top.